- Course Code: UKMG17CGD
- Location: Online
- Duration: 30 hours
- Qualification: The Complete Gardening Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Includes the Following Courses
The Complete Gardening Diploma
Whether you are thinking of starting a career outdoors as a gardening expert or you are already working in the industry and are thinking of starting your own garden company, The Complete Gardening Diploma is the right choice for you.
Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma
This information packed course will teach you the basics you need to start your own gardening company or boost your career within the gardening industry. You can turn your hobby into a successful business by completing the twenty nine modules and passing the multiple choice question test.
The modules cover everything from basic gardening to pest control, landscaping and more. The course takes approximately fifteen hours to complete and on successful completion, you will have the ability to download and print your industry recognised diploma.
When applying for a position within the gardening industry, your potential employer will be able to confirm your certification online. During your studies you will enjoy the convenience of studying at your own pace with no set schedule and from anywhere using any device, as long as you have a connection to the internet to access the modules.
The modules included in this Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma are brimming with information to help you jumpstart your gardening career and turn your hobby and passion into a money-making opportunity.
Zen Gardening Certificate
We have created this Zen Gardening course to give students all the information they require to build and care for a Zen garden. When you complete this course, you will know all you need to know about creating a Zen garden as well as how to keep it up over the years.
The course contains topics ranging from understanding Zen and Buddhism to general garden maintenance and pest control. We have worked to ensure that this course allows you to create a Zen garden that you will love, and one that you can care for year after year.
The course is totally online and offers students a convenient way to work through the course material that works best for their personal schedules. Students can continue to work full time while taking the course.
Urban Gardening Certificate
This Urban Gardening course is designed to give you all the information you need to start a garden in an urban area. Upon completing the course, not only will you be ready to create a garden from scratch, you will know how to keep up and expand your garden year after year.
This course includes everything from choosing a location for your urban garden to collecting seeds from your garden for the following years. We have created this course to ensure that you understand what creating an urban garden entails and how to care for the garden you create.
The course is online and provides you with a convenient way to study the course material when it is most convenient for your schedule. Students who take the course still have time to continue working.
- Soil type, soil evaluation & soil improvement: learn about the different types of natural soil and additional plant mixers which can be used to stimulate plant growth.
- Garden planning & preparation: Understand the importance of initial planning on paper, before beginning the practical aspects of gardening.
- Plant planning & purchase tips: Determine plant types and their uses, discover plant purchasing techniques.
- Maintenance-Soil Nourishment & Watering: Learn the different materials essential for the nourishment of soil to facilitate growing and maintenance of healthy plants.
- To discover the importance of the initial consultation, ongoing discussions, clarity and onsite analysis.
- To understand the necessity of site surveying and garden concept plans to aid the decision- making process and avoid potential mishaps.
- The basic elements of good garden design, including the plant options, hardscapes, texture and colour elements.
- To become aware of the process in reaching the master garden plan stage and incorporating further elements into during the implementation stage.
- The importance of gathering inspiration daily from all avenues of your life, nature, other gardens, books, online and your creative inspiration.
- An expansive list of garden design possibilities and the insight that there can be one singular theme, a combination of two or more or an adapted version of any.
- How creating a garden design mood board assists both the owner and garden designer in creating a visual effect of the ideas, colours, plants and preferred overall theme, which can be incorporated into the garden space and features available.
- How to use a virtual mood board created from an array of images.
- Materials and areas of measurements required for surveying a site for garden design
- The various measurement techniques used for accurately measuring the different aspects required for completing a site survey, including curved and irregular areas
- Various scales used in recording site measurements on survey maps
- Correct photographic recordings and survey map drawing requirements
- Learn the benefits of project planning regardless of the size of project
- Become knowledgeable in the stages of project planning
- Discover the importance of creating timelines, chronological action step lists and available resources
- Learn about developing preliminary plans and baseline plans when planning a garden project
- Discover ways to incorporate and create optical illusion methods to enhance small garden spaces so they appear larger than life, such as creating focal points and distractions
- You will learn many techniques including the use of long lines and garden division methods
- The effective use of space to create a garden that suits all tastes and preferences
- Learn about narrow plant varieties, shelf layering and creating a portable garden to suit small gardens
- You will learn how time spent with creative experimentation on paper can result in saving a lot of timely and costly delays and allow for the optimal garden creation for each space
- You will learn how to draw a garden plan which offers beauty and practicality once you have carried out a site survey and consultation
- You will discover how to create a scale for your garden plan that allows ease of following and minimize mistakes
- You will know how to create a graphic from your garden plan to show best visual representation for the proposed changes and design options
- The different considerations you should make before deciding which garden surface materials to choose for each landscape for effective style and functionality.
- The different hard landscaping options, which can be used for varying garden requirements and preferences from solid garden flooring options like stone and concrete to softer, uneven options such as glass beadings or pebbles.
- The advantages and uses of combining two or more hard surface options within one garden such as cost, functionality and style.
- How to be familiar with the creative use of hard landscaping materials that are used to turn dull spaces into stunning visual displays and create functional but attractive garden areas.
- Learn the composition of the various soil types including their textures and unique components.
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of soil and what can be done to enhance each for increased fertility.
- Discover the types of plants that are best suited to each soil type: sandy, chalky, clay, peat, silt and loam.
- Discover the secrets of creating great soil by use of organic, natural materials.
- Learn the advantages of planting native species to enhance your garden and surrounding wildlife species
- Learn how to best use space constraints and other factors to adhere to when planning the spatial aspects of plant life.
- Learn about colour themes and the colour wheel so that the garden plants, shrubs and trees chosen complement the existing background and client preferences.
- Learn about the effect of sunlight and climate features in relation to plant selection.
- Understand plant reproductive systems: Asexual and sexual reproduction, plus a little plant physiology.
- Receive a brief introduction to plant classification for a beginning to what plants to use.
- Learn what plants work well in different gardens and the importance of matching certain plants together.
- Learn about exotic and tropical plants, the care they need and how to grow them in temperate climates.
- About adding container plants to keep the plants owners love without possible difficulties
- How changing irrigation and watering systems can make a difficult garden easier to manage
- About adding new plants with an eye towards low maintenance or new landscaping for easier gardens
- How sometime starting over is the best option
- An overview of the types of insurance required
- The income business tax structure
- The implications of VAT and how it will affect your business
- Record keeping and software: you will need to have detailed records for taxes, which is made easier by software
Fantastic course, very educational
I decided to take an online course in garden maintenance etc. as I love my garden. Found the Complete Garden Design and Maintenance course on New Skills Academy which covered Urban, Zen and Design all in one.
So far I have completed the Urban and Zen and thoroughly enjoyed them both. My brother has asked me to design a Zen garden for him next summer so I can’t wait to put my ideas into practise.
Fantastic course, very educational, has given me some great inspiration and excellent value for money! I would recommend it to anybody.
Donna Coleman – Kettering
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Urban Gardening Certificate course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 5 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 5 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 5 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Urban Gardening Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 8 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
What our students say ...
Learn with confidence
New Skills Academy work in association with industry experts including:
Get a Free Guide to Improve your Career Prospects
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and we will send you our latest news and offers, as well as free copy of our informative guide titled: The Ultimate Guide to Career Intervention