- Course Code: UKFEC16DYX
- Location: Online
- Duration: 15 hours
- Cost: £100.00
- Qualification: Dyslexia Awareness Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Dyslexia Awareness Diploma
This Dyslexia Awareness Diploma course offers students the ability to learn all about the condition, and how it can be handled. This course is full of information that will help you not only learn to deal with dyslexia yourself, but also how to help children or others who you come in contact with. This is an excellent course for teachers or for others who wish to learn more about this condition.
Dyslexia can be a difficult condition to manage, but there are methods that can make learning easier for those who have been diagnosed. This course will give you an overview of the types of dyslexia, and what type of support is available for the condition. You will also learn how the law in the UK affects those with dyslexia.
Introduction to the Dyslexia Awareness Diploma
This is an internet-based training course that gives students the opportunity to study the material when it’s convenient. Many people who take the course can work a full time job while they study, which helps them to easily achieve their goals of learning about dyslexia.
You can access the study material for this diploma course from any device with an internet connection, and receive online support as you train. When you complete the course, you must take an exam, and when completed, you will receive a recognised diploma that you can print out at home. Alternatively, we can post the diploma to you for a small cost.
What You Will Learn
This dyslexia awareness diploma course was designed to give students a complete overview of dyslexia, which will help in both their professional and personal lives.
This course will cover:
- An introduction to dyslexia
- The causes of dyslexia
- How dyslexia is diagnosed
- An overview of the different types of dyslexia
- How dyslexia affects phonics, writing, spelling, and speaking
- How dyslexia affects maths and science skills and creativity
- What it’s like to live and work with dyslexia
- What conditions often occur along with dyslexia
- Managing dyslexia
- What laws are in place to protect those with dyslexia
Benefits of the Dyslexia Awareness Diploma
There are a number of benefits to those who complete the dyslexia course and earn their diplomas.
- The ability to study from anywhere and at any time, even when at work or away from home.
- The option to study as quickly or slowly as you wish, as there is no time limit for the course.
- The capability to study from any device including computers, mobile phones, or tablets.
- An easy to understand course structure, which is broken down into short modules.
- The convenience of support when you require it, all online.
- A full syllabus, which virtually guarantees that you will get the knowledge you require to work and support those with dyslexia, both in your personal and professional lives.
- Improving prospects when applying for work or volunteer opportunities with those who have dyslexia.
- An affordable pricing structure.
- Upon completion, you will receive a certified diploma.
- To understand what dyslexia is;
- To learn about the symptoms of dyslexia;
- To understand how dyslexia can affect other aspects of life;
- To learn about different people in the community who can help those with dyslexia;
- To learn about the possible causes of dyslexia;
- To understand neurological causes of dyslexia;
- Diagnosing Dyslexia
- To understand how heredity can play a role in dyslexia.
- To learn about different types of reading deficits
- To understand which deficits are related to dyslexia and which are not
- To understand interventions and methods of support for different types of dyslexia
- To learn about the signs of different types of dyslexia
- To learn the definition of phonics
- To understand the importance of phonics in literacy and speech
- To understand how dyslexia affects the learning of phonics
- To learn how phonics is taught
- To understand why dyslexia can cause an individual to struggle with writing;
- To understand how writing issues are corrected;
- To understand where spelling issues come from;
- To learn how spelling is taught;
- To learn how dyslexia can affect all levels of communication;
- To learn how a speech therapist can help dyslexic children with their speaking and listening skills;
- To learn how speaking and listening skills can contribute to reading and writing skills;
- To learn techniques for improving speaking skills;
- To learn about dyscalculia;
- To understand what difficulties are associated with dyscalculia;
- To learn about potential causes of dyscalculia;
- To learn about the effect of dyscalculia on a person's life;
- To understand how dyslexic students can learn physics;
- To understand how dyslexic students can learn biology;
- To understand how dyslexic students can learn chemistry;
- To learn general tips on teaching scientific concepts;
- To understand how the brain is connected to dyslexia and creativity;
- To learn about dyslexia and drawing;
- To learn about dyslexia and music;
- To learn about dyslexia and creative writing.
- To learn about the language learning experience for dyslexic learners;
- To learn how dyslexic learners can take part in ESL and foreign language learning;
- To understand what it means to anticipate language learning abilities;
- To learn about the MSL (Multi-Sensory Structured Language) method of teaching for dyslexic language learning;
- To learn about signs of dyslexic adults at work;
- To learn the general signs of dyslexia in adults;
- To learn how to deal with writing issues in the workplace;
- To understand how to cope with reading issues in the workplace;
- To learn about the conditions often seen with dyslexia;
- To understand dysgraphia and how it can be overcome;
- To learn about the symptoms of dyspraxia;
- To understand ADD/ADHD;
- To learn about any therapy and interventions that can help children with dyslexia;
- To understand how speech therapy can help a child with dyslexia;
- To learn about possible medications that can help dyslexia;
- To understand how ADD/ADHD treatments can help dyslexia;
- To understand why and when dyslexia can be classed as a disability;
- To learn how the law protects disabled people;
- To learn about different UK laws dedicated to protecting dyslexic people;
- To understand how these laws apply at work and at school;
This course is thorough, packed with facts and useful interventions and is easily manageable.
This short course about dyslexia is well worth the money. I am a fully qualified dyslexia specialist who teaches full time. I saw this course and thought it would be a good idea to ensure my knowledge and strategies were current.
This course is thorough, packed with facts and useful interventions and is easily manageable. It fulfils its brief and would be extremely useful to teachers and TAs working in school who wish to increase their knowledge of SpLD and how to support children effectively.
The course reinforces prior knowledge and gives food for thought and discussion. The time indicators for each session are reasonably accurate and allow you to plan your studying and feel that the course is manageable around other commitments. I recommend this course.
Carolyn Bettesworth – Warminster
Very clear and easy to follow
Having just completed the Dyslexia Diploma in a few days I can honestly say I now have a much better knowledge of the condition and it gave me so much detail and information to learn in order to use in my teaching job.
Very clear and easy to follow with great assessments at the end of each module. Also the multiple choice exam covered all of the important points I had learnt. Highly recommend this diploma. The fact I could study this online in my own time was a huge positive.
I look forward to further study more diplomas related.
Carly Dawson – Bristol
I would recommend to my friends.
I found this course very easy reading and thoroughly understandable. It was very well put together and you could always go back into the exact page that you left. It was very easy to leave notes and could always go back into them for a refresher.
This course was very well thought threw and easy to move through each section. The self-assessment at the end of each section was very helpful and refreshes key elements that you needed. To be able to print this off was good as it provided a guide for yourself.
I would recommend to my friends.
Sandra Thomas – London
Fab place to learn.
New Skills Academy is a fab place to go to if you’re wanting to start a course and further your career. Being a mother to 2 young children it is hard to find the time to complete a course and juggle life… thank goodness for New Skills Academy.
They put no pressure on you to finish your course by a certain time. They allow you to take your time and really understand what you’re learning. It’s easy to use, there is help when needed, a very modern design making it great for anyone to use. Fab place to learn.
Abigail Elizabeth Shaw – Bournemouth
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Dyslexia Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 14 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 14 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 14 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Dyslexia Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 15 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
What our students say ...
Learn with confidence
New Skills Academy work in association with industry experts including:
Get a Free Guide to Improve your Career Prospects
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and we will send you our latest news and offers, as well as free copy of our informative guide titled: The Ultimate Guide to Career Intervention